Saturday, October 20, 2007

More Taylor thoughts

More on the Taylor play. I am surprised at what I have read and the general consensus that this mars the UConn win.

I honestly don't see it like that. I thought the Temple play was the gift of all-time. Not this one. This was a break. Breaks happen in sports. Through no fault of UConn's own they got a gift and took advantage. Is it any different than the Jeff Maier catch off Jeter's flyball? Yanks don't win the World Series in 1996 because of it. How about the Knoblauch phantom tag in 1999 against the Red Sox?

How about Jordan's blatant push off of Byron Russell before the game-winning basket?

Has anyone mentioned that the Rockies' Matt Holliday actually has yet to touch the plate on the winning run off Hoffman in the one game Wild Card playoff three weeks ago?

In football, there is the famous 5th down for Colorado. Officials blow calls all the time. It's unfortunate, but there is nothing you can do but say thanks you to the officials.

What is at play here is everyone is searching to legitimize UConn. Writers, pundits, fans etc. want that clean, crisp game that is perfect to hang your hat on. Especially when you come out of nowhere, you want to make sure it's real.

You don't get that often in sports however.

I can appreciate that. But, you can't let that search for sureness lead you to dismiss the result.

UConn has outplayed every team it has faced this year. If the games were clean and no wackiness, UConn would be 7-0. But, the games aren't clean, there are bad calls, bonehead errors etc that help decide games.

The Taylor non-call ruined the game for both teams. It didn't cause Louisville to lose.

Update (more thoughts): This is a hot topic been answering about a dozen emails from friends and colleagues on this today. Some have changed my mind on things, but not the heart of the matter. Reading everything and seeing the play about 30 times it looks like Taylor tried to fool the coverage guy. I don't really have a problem with this to be honest.

I will be interested to see what Taylor says Tuesday, but the onus is on the official here. If the official doesn't feel that Taylor's deke is an invalid fair catch signal (how does he not?), then the play is legal.

IT IS CLEAR FROM THE RULES, that that was not a legal fair catch (which many thought it was). The question is was it an invalid fair catch or a good deke? I think it was a penalty, but the official saw it differently. That is why it is not reviewable. That's a judgment call.

If the above is the case, it's a dangerous play for Taylor. He was quoted after the game that he was playing "mind games with the players." Not sure of the context as I wasn't there for that. If this is the case the return team has every right to plow him.

It may have been a great move by Taylor if he had that planned, but it is a dangerous one. Rule of thumb for him now is going to be if you don't see LT wave the arm frantically put him in the ground.

The more I get away from it, it looks like a better football play than just a ridiculous blown call by the officials. Just a dangerous football play. Looked at it a bunch.

I don't see why Taylor should apologize for the play. If it's legal, it's legal. If a penalty should be called, it should be called. Not his fault either way. Bad officiating.

On the impact of the play: Significant, but not decisive. It didn't give the Huskies momentum since Louisville scored the next 10 points (you don't get down 10 with all the momentum).

The game started at 17-7. Everything before that was just setting up the final 12 minutes.

No comments: