Monday, November 12, 2007

Who goes to the Sun Bowl go?

This is the question of the hour. As we found out Saturday, things can change awfully quick. But here are some thoughts.

To even project, we have to make assumptions that could be incorrect.

So, we are going to assume that the highest ranked team in the conference wins out. So, I'll have West Virginia winning the Big East at 11-1 (is that fair everyone?).

Certainly Cincinnati is good enough to beat them at home. And I think UConn has and outside shot at winning too.

So, we'll go chalk and say UConn and Cincinnati finish up at 9-3 overall. To muck it up even more, USF will also win their final three and finishing up at 9-3.

So, who does the Sun Bowl take?


Good question.

UConn is second place at 5-2, and Cincinnati is 4-3 as is USF. We could also have Rutgers crash the party at 8-4, 4-3.

Let's look at merits of each if the scenario plays out:

UConn -- Second place in Big East. That 5-2 record is very important. A lot will depend on how well they play the final two games. But, I am of the opinion that unless there is extraordinary circumstances, the bowl should follow suit. the Big East probably wants this too. A strong deference should be made if the No. 2 place team is attractive. temple and Louisville controversy's could hurt the thinking.

Drawing power: Sent about 8,000 fans to Detroit the day after xmas I believe (what i ahve read). I am of the opinion that that is extraordinary. Can they get that in El Paso? No idea. Team also has a national name recognition, though it is in basketball. But, that helps. This will help it over Cincinnati somewhat and USF -- which no on knows where it is (Tampa, Fla.).

Cincinnati -- Probably the best team of the bunch assuming a close loss to WVU. Cincinnati beat USF in Tampa and destroyed the Huskies at home. Bothersome however is the Louisville loss and especially Pitt.

Drawing power: Not very good. This is going to hurt them, and if they end up in Toronto or the Papajohns.com bowl it will be a travesty. Still, they had 30,000 fans at the game against UConn. UConn averages around 37-38 and Cincinnati is a major metro area that has an NFL and MLB team. That's not great drawing. The city of Cincinnati doesn't know what they have there.

USF -- Most high profile of the 9-3 teams thanks to its second ranking. Least deserving of the 3 though with that awful 3 game losing streak against the better teams in the conference. A loss to Rutgers, UConn and Cincinnati makes you wonder how good they really are. The WVU win is pretty good and Auburn was electric. But, if the conference season means anything they should head probably to Toronto.

Drawing power: ? don't know. Never met a USF fan. It's a new team. At least when UConn went I-A it had a long tradition of football an athletics and the hoops team had a rabid fan base. USF fans? I don't know who are where they are.

Rutgers -- Beat USF, but lost to UConn, Cincinnati and got hammered by West Virginia. Has beaten up on Army, Navy and Norfolk State. Only one quality win and that was at home to a team that fell apart. Unlikely to get to the Sun Bowl for that reason. Why would the Sun create that much animosity by taking the 5th team in the conference. They got a shot at the meinike, but that would be a travesty too.

Drawing power: Drew a small city to Texas last year. The hype machine is also in overdrive. Team didn't win for 100 years, but, they feel they can buy a good bowl berth. Maybe they can. That's disconcerting. I don't think the Sun, as prestigious as it is as one of the oldest bowl games, would stoop that low and go straight for the cash.

Louisville is out for the Sun. The one win between rule is in effect from what I am told.

What do I think?

As long as Huskies take care of business on Saturday with a crisp game, and then play well against West Virginia, then I am inclined the sun goes after the Huskies. Cincy makes a great case, but when you factor in travel power (not that UConn is proven) and that UConn finished ahead in conference I think the Sun goes for a safe bet. It all depends on ow both team play, even in losses, the last two weeks. I think one more win, and the Huskies will definitely be in the Meinike. Rutgers wouldn't overtake them for Charlotte. Charlotte has eyed the Huskies in recent years pretty hard.

As far as the rest of the conference:

Meinike -- Cincinnati

International -South Florida

Papajohns.com -- Rutgers

I know a lot of people feel because of Rutgers' fans they will be heading to the Meinike, but I don't feel that this will happen. I can't imagine a team the quality of USF and Cincinnati both slipping from Sun Bowl contention to the minor bowl outcasts.

In any event, the Big East needs to do better on the next go around of bowl alliances. It isn't the gator that's the problem. The Gator/Sun relationship is one I like.

The Car Care bowl is a good game too. But, the International Bowl is a who cares (you can't play in after New Year's, that destroys the games credibility). And the Papajohn's bowl excites no one.

If Louisville goes 6-6, I think the Big East will try and get USF or Cincinnati to a bowl that had its tie-ins not qualify. Then send Louisville to Birmingham or Toronto.

It's unfortunate for the Big East, one 9-3 team of the likes of USF, UConn or Cincinnati will sent to a minor bowl game. That should be unacceptable.

Big East has to do a better job the next time around. They get a pass because of the raid.. But, if I a get kicked to Toronto at 9-3 I would be an angry AD if I was UConn, USF or Cincinnati.


3 comments:

Husky4Life said...

The Huskies really need to take care of business this week. Get the energy back and at least put their fate in their own hands. If they aren't up for Saturdays game at home than they don't deserve to go anywhere. I was def deflated on Saturday but that can change with a good butt kicking of Cuse. Go Huskies!

Anonymous said...

A story from North Carolina about NC State had the Charlotte bowl executive saying that Rutgers & UConn were the possible Big East opponent. I think, if UConn beats Syracuse, that Charlotte is a worst-care scenario. And that's okay because I could make it to Charlotte, not sure about El Paso.

John said...

I would say Charlotte is a worst case for UConn. They really want the Huskies, I don't see UConn, barring a collapse and a loss to the Cuse, dropping out to the International Bowl (not a bad spot, but the date is horrible. Got to play this before the New Year) or the Pizza Bowl.

The Big East has to get a better bowl than Papajohn's.com. That's the worse one on the docket.

Also, will probably mention it in another post, but the Sun Bowl doesn't care about traveling. Of all the bowls, they are probably the least interested in "how you travel." they send most of the tickets locally, and the allotment per school is only 8,000 (which is a lot if you are trying to get people from CT, but not from somewhere else in Texas).

They like UConn too. UConn has to win against Cuse, then they will see what happens.