Saturday, October 17, 2009

Postgame Louisville

Coming down to the interview room today it hit me right in the head.

The Huskies' second team offense is better than its first team. Consider: Backup QB Cody Endres passed for 273 yards. Backup running back Andre Dixon rushes for 153 yards and three touchdowns.

Now, the greatest shock this program has seen since I covered it is the emergence of Marcus Easley. He had 108 yards on Saturday after having over 100 last week against Pittsburgh.

Where the heck you been Marcus?

Easley has been a backup his entire career. The former walk-on has never been a part of the mix despite having good size and tremendous speed at 6-2. Let's be clear here, I don't think Easley is an aberration. He creates separation and he looked good running after the catch today. Think about Dwayne Difton, Nick Williams and Mike Lang, none of them have done anything remotely like Easley has done the past two weeks.

In fact, the last two weeks was the first time he was a part of the game plan. There used to be a running joke in the press box -- if Marcus Easley is in its a running play. That wasn't far from the truth. He mostly has been a blocker for the Huskies. The fact they had this guy sitting there to me is unbelievable. Mike Smith is nice over the middle, but of all the WRs I have seen this season Marcus Easley has looks by far the most explosive.

The fact he has done it against a Big east schedule is also stunning. Difton, Lang and Nick Williams are going to have their redshirt years burned and I don't think they are going to get enough out of the trio to warrant having played them this season. Them's the breaks. Easley had an excellent spring game and was given a scholarship this summer. The last two weeks have been the first time he has had extended action. Better late than never.

It just goes to show you that experience matters. Andre Dixon looks like an NFL back. He isn't a one touch explosive threat, but he was blocking well on pass protection, was making sharp cuts, and was extremely productive. He follows his blockers and runs hard, but with patience. Jordan Todman has to learn that. Todman is explosive, but Dixon seems to be able to run donwnhill better (to use football jargon). It's a good mix they have there.

What's the use of spring practice if your top RB, QB and WR were backups after the spring and fall camp? So much for practice.

More notes:

*The offense was as good and balanced as I have seen since i covered the team. I like how the offense has looked. The defense has me extremely worried. To me, re flags go up when I see a high completion percentage and a high percentage on third down conversions. Louisville was 10-of-15 on third downs, 2-of-2 on fourth and at one point Froman hit 16 straight passes. The Huskies have given up over 450 yards of offense in each of the last two games.

Edsall acknowledged that the defense is a concern. This is going to be a problem because they have nowhere to go at safety and LB. Greg Lloyd struggles in passing situations, and on the D-Line it has to be Lindsey Witten rushing the passer or no one does. The Huskies tried changing personnel depending on situation almost every down. That didn't work. The defense is so young on the D-Line and at safety, that the effect of not having Scott Lutrus out there is devastating. I cringe when I think of Devine, Sanders and Jarrett Brown going after the Huskies next week.

Nowhere to go on defense. The current crop has to get it done. Perhaps Alex Polito and Brandon Dillon may get another shot at extended DT time. The defense has to be better.

How is this for UConn. I am more concerned about the defense than the offense.


*On a side note, I hope you weren't a bettor on Saturday. The Huskies had a 38-19 and give up a TD with no time left. The line started at UConn -13. If you got in at that price, you were heartbroken.  Then Louisville's kicker misses the extra point (maybe barefoot kickers in new England don't work). So you go from winning the bet to a crushing loss to a push in the matter of a minute. Don't bet. It isn't good for your health.


That's it for now. I got to pay the bills and take care of a ton before the Yankees game/and watching Florida-Arkansas. You think the Louisville fans want Bobby Petrino back?

No comments: