Saturday, September 12, 2009

More thoughts at home

I sense a little too much cynicism about the team. Skepticism is fine, but the Huskies aren't USC and will never will be. That can't be the expectation. It's a crushing loss, but I think they proved they could play with a team like Carolina that could win the ACC. That bodes well. 

It was a hard-hitting good rough and tumble college football game. It was a shocking way to lose, but I saw some encouraging signs out there. The defense is top notch, and that is without Scott Lutrus.

Butch Davis thought UConn's was terrific on defense. UNC threw the kitchen sink at UConn. They were calling plays essentially drawn up in the dirt. The big adjustment for the Tar Heels in the 4th quarter was much more misdirection. All the pass plays came off misdirection. I got the feeling that UNC was impressed with UConn defensively, not just paying lip service.

"We are very fortunate to win this game. There is no way you can talk about this game without saying how fortunate we were," UNC coach Butch Davis said. "To make some of that fortune happen a lot of things had to happen, our kids to keep competing and playing hard. They spilled their guts out there every single snap."


I know there is a lot of frustration with the offense, but I think unlike last week at Ohio U, you have to give North Carolina some credit. There were a couple of key drops and a fumble on an end around that really killed UConn. I don't know the extent of Frazer's injury, and that is worrisome. Cody Endres looked uncomfortable when he came in. Frazer has been the unquestioned starter since the spring, and he has consistently beat out Endres for the position since last year. The gap between Frazer and Endres is a lot bigger than I think we all think.

I thought Frazer was fine out there today. The throw to Kanuch was a little high, but it didn't sail on Frazer. Kanuch can't have that hit off his hands for a pick.

I have a small problem late in the game when they are at the 50 and the clock is running. I thought they needed a timeout to regroup and get a good play in, not necessarily to save time. Endres had Todman open in the flat and went to a slant with Kanuch. Then on third down they threw a tough pass to Todman over the defenders shoulder. 4th down Endres had no chance, pocket collapsed. That would have been a nice time for a draw.

I think its safe to say this is going to be the best defense the Huskies will face this year. What did everyone expect? UNC's defense is superior to UConn's offense physically and played like it.

The major drama now is at QB. If Frazer is gone for an extended period of time it will wreck the season. Endres can throw it a bit, but he didn't look comfortable out there and that is a position the Huskies can't take a step back in. If it is Endres for an extended period of time, then I think you are going to see a much more conservative offensive game planning than what they want to do with Frazer back there.

UConn had outgained UNC 189-134 through three quarters. In the fourth quarter UNC gained 134 yards. Time of possession in fourth quarter was 11:06 UNC, 3:54 UConn.

Got to finish games.

Some other thoughts:

*Lindsey Witten was a monster. He too ran out of gas late, but he had 3 sacks officially, and I think he got another one that they gave to someone else (should have halved one with Jesse). Six sacks. Could have used one late.

*Desi Cullen was outstanding and even drew a penalty on Bruce Carter.

Today's story.
 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

John you don't have to be USC to throw for more than 251 in two games. We will be dead last of all BCS conference teams in passing by the end of the night...just waiting on the Oregon game to make it official. Noboday said they want to be USC...as of right now we'd be happy to play as well as Cincy, and I don't think that's unrealistic. They have a good shot to get their third 10 win season in a row this year, and are the favorite to repeat. Do you really think UConn is not capable of achieving what Cincy is doing right now? Sugar coating doesn't suit you John.
M. Grant - Norwalk

Sean O said...

Heres the thing: you can't get too mad at the offense with Frazer out, Difton hurt and ineffective in the 2nd half and the promising freshman tight end (#94, I forgot his name) also appearing to be hurt.

That being said...theres absolutely no excuse to blow a 10-0 lead with one quarter to go. Where is that time-consuming drive? Where was the running game to seal the victory?

The playcalling was 100 times worse than last week against Ohio. I don't know why they've gone to this spread offense junk...last year's offense was fine if they could just complete a pass. UConn's strength is running the ball...so run the ball and let Frazer (or the QB) throw it 20-25 times max.

If I see them running that play where they fake to a WR/RB in motion and then handoff to the deep back again, Im going to scream. Just give Todman or Dixon the ball and run it.

John said...

I think UNC had a lot reason to do with the struggles passing. The offense has to be better, but I don't think they have the QB ability of Tony Pike or the WR ability of Mardy Gilyard.

UConn doesn't have that offensive talent at those positions (and Brian Kelly walked into Pike).

The wide receivers aren't there yet. It takes time. I think the new offense will work, but it needs a quarterback and wide receivers to make plays. Inaccuracy last week against Ohio, several dropped balls this week.

I have a high opinion of UNC's defense. So that is why I am not ready to throw this thing put. But, I put this week on the WRs. They have to make people miss and make some plays.