I am in Toronto. It's so cold even native Torontoans are complaining about the cold. I know journalists aren't suposed to root, but I can promise you next year, I am rooting for the Orange Bowl.
My God, it's freezing up here.
I took a 6 am flight out of Bradley because I wanted to be in Toronto to do a story on East Hartford's Will Solomon, who plays for the Raptors (more on that later).
So, I get up at 3:30 am and upon arriving I am told my luggage won't make it because of weight restrictions. The guy said it like it wasn't a problem. He tried to get me on another flight. I decided to take my oversized bag with me as a carry on and personally checked it plane side.
I started thinking? Weight restriction? Was I flying in a Cessna?
Well, I don't know what plane it was, but it was closer to a Cessna than a 737 that's for sure. The plane was a 16 seat turbo prop. Direct to Toronto - Air Canada. The second pilot acted as the flight attendent.
"Bathroom is in back. Keep your seatbelts on."
That's the last I ever heard or saw him.
I somehow dozed off sitting in the first seat before turbulence rudely woke me up. I thought I was in a nightmare. I couldn't hear anything because of the propellers and I look in the cock pit (the cock pit was open for most of the flight, so much for secruity) and I see the pilot reading USA Today. So I am on a tin can up 20,000 feet and this guy is reading the sports page? Bravo, newspapers need readers anytime we can get them.
So anyhow I go to the Air Canda Centre to interview Will Solomon and in the 200 yards between the Rogers Centre and an enclosed skywalk I nearly freeze to death. I don't think I am leaving the hotel for the rest of the trip.
Solomon was very good. He talked abot his time playing hoops in Europe and about professionalism. I am going to write a profile next week. The only time he flinched is when Chris Bosh walked by and gave him a funny look. I don't think Bosh is used to seeing Solomon being interviewed.
As I was leaving the Nuggets were practicing. George Karl looked miserable and the Nuggets players looked like they were messing around. They are form Denver, but I bet they were cold too.
There is a game tonight and one Friday. I am going to try and get to the Friday game.
As far as the rest of the day -- Randy Edsall talks at 2:30 p.m. and Huskies will be available after practice. Turner Gill is avilable at 3 p.m. at the Westin, but I don't think I can make it. And, even walking for two blocks is treacherous.
I'll be back more from updates. I need to eat and take a nap for an hour, or I won't make it until midnight.
Did I mention it's cold up here?
3 comments:
You guys busted Zac for driving? John I love your blog...but a true New Englander you can't be. (grin)
Whining about the cold is as bad as those who whined about Rob Ambrose's offense. What good can it do?
Wind chill's here in CT tonight will be around 10 below zero. Be grateful you are in the warm weather.
We'll be driving up tomorrow (was supposed to go today but snow is no fun to drive in. (notice how I didn't whine but shared my dislike for snow) (Grin)
Keep blogging as it will give me something to do during the 8 hour drive tomorrow. (while my wife drives)
SOCJimmy. It is beyond cold. And, the fact I can't read celsius means I think it is even colder.
Here is a tip, get your money out at an ATM in Canada. If you exchange currency you aren't getting a good deal. I took out 60 canadian and my bank took out 49 American.
At the hotels, the exchange is 1$1.06-1.12 CSD to USD. The actual rate is $1.21 today. Hotels are making a killing on the transfer of paper.
Wednesday Night, Dec 31
Low: 13 °F RealFeel®: -7 °F
Clouds breaking; windy and colder; extreme cold can be dangerous for outdoor activities late
That is the forecast for West Hartford tonight. By the way...your -14 C is 7 F. I don't know what the wind is up there but I think we're pretty close if not higher here (gusts of 40 MPH)
Thanks for the currency exchange tip. I was wondering what the best way to do it was.
Post a Comment