Thursday, October 2, 2008

Thursday ramblings


My television career is flourishing (not). I have another 2 minute segment on the NFL Network today at noon and 6 p.m. on College Football Now. Got to love my making the media rounds. I have been on all over the place since UConn started winning. Funny thing is, one loss and I won't hear from anyone until next year. Gasp....I have learned to turn down opportunities too. Trust me man, I don't want to get a rep.


Any of you thinking that Donald Brown even has a remote chance at the Heisman Trophy don't be kidding yourselves. I don't care if he runs for 2,500 yards, 25 touchdowns and the Huskies go 12-1 and win the Orange Bowl. Not going to happen. Why?

Marketing.

I just recieved a box from the Missouri Athletic Department. In it was a ViewMaster (example of what it is above for you kiddies) with a cartridge of Chase Daniel highlights and this poem embedded with the pictures.

Whether through the air... or on the ground...Mizzou's Chase Daniel gets it done... he is helping lead the Tigers... in their push for number one.

The final picture is Daniel talking to Chris Fowler and Lee Corso with a reference to the website. http://www.chasefortheheisman.com/. This one takes the cake. I have gotten, DVD, posters, mini football helmets and even pencils and bags. But, this is a good one. I had a Superman ViewMaster as a kid. Loved it. I don't even vote for the Heisman.
Donald Brown doesn't stand a chance. We have any people who took marketeering who can help "The Don?" Keith Gray suggested free UPS shipping a couple of weeks ago.


Story isn't up on the JI yet, but I did a semi-lighthearted piece on Donald Brown and his 4.29 40. Also, Brown was a teammate of Georgia running back Knowshow Moreno as kids. Both alternated Wingback and running back.

Hope they had the Cochran rule in place down in South Jersey.

Lastly, I love reading reader comments on newspapers websites and reading the reaction to Jeff Jacobs' column in the Hartford Courant yesterday certainly was interesting. I did see the comment of the century however in the section.

From some poster named Waquoit out of Alexandria , Virginia commenting on Zach Frazer not being available to the press this week and the press reaction:

I think it's pretty funny that the press expects more access from a 2nd
string QB from UConn then they do from the Republican VP
candidate.

What does that say about our democracy? The funny thing, or not, is it's true.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

If UConn comes back to the Rent undefeated for the Cincinnati game, the rest of their games will be on national television and Donald Brown will be front and center. Not saying he will win but an invite to NYC for the ceremony is possible and hopefully that East Coast Bias could kick in. Been a long, long, long time since the East Coast has had a Heisman contender...I could see the NYC press jumping all over it. And Brown is starting to get mentioned on all the Heisman watch lists.

Putting the cart before the horse of course...just need to beat UNC right now.

John said...

A little tongue in cheek Sean. If Brown gets to 11-1 and 2500 yards with 26 TDs, he will be in NYC.

It is interesting though, the Big East season runs so late, what does that affect on the Heisman vote? They are still playing Thanksgiving weekend and then Dec. 6 against Pitt.

The ceremony is Dec. 13.

Anonymous said...

Haha, yes, 2500 yards could win him the Trophy. But if he even gets close to 2,000 and UConn wins 9 or 10 games, he could still get the invite.

Anonymous said...

The marketing thing is amazing. I think Uconn would have been all over it if Brown was on the list before the season. If he has a big game this week I bet they would start the push pretty hard. They probably have it planned already but don't want to act unless it is clear this is going to continue for the rest of the season.

John said...

Guando,

No shot at it being done or anything remotely close to a marketing campaign. UConn just doesn't know how to turn on the college football hype machine yet.

For a way not to do it however, look at Rutgers. They hyped themselves up so much,the rest of the country has come to hate them for no reason at all.

Anonymous said...

As a collector of Viewmaster and other 3D stuff, I wish I could get my hands on one of those sets - even though I think that its a rediculous way to market a player. Let me know if you plan on selling yours or know of any way I can get one. I'd be much appreciative!
chuckfield2003@yahoo.com