I am not that surprised UConn was picked to finish sixth in the league, what I am surprised with how strongly that other writers felt about them being in sixth place. UConn could very well finish sixth, but they could also finish third and I don't think it would be that great a shock. The point is that few even considered UConn in that upper echelon.
I don't think the gap between UConn and Rutgers and USF (are they ever going to live up to expectation?) is as great as the spread indicates. Factor in the destruction of Cincinnati in Rentschler and I am surprised UConn summarily dismissed.
Every other Big East team has as big, or even more, question marks than UConn. It means little however. I thought Edsall was a little more annoyed than usual at being placed sixth. He usually laughs it off or something, but he was honest and less reserved this time around.
Here is Edsall on it:
“It’s probably more a shot at me than anything,” Edsall said. “I am not a guy who is a self- promoter. Your work is proven by what you do. The old adage -- talk is cheap. The way I was brought up in this business, maybe it has changed, I don’t know, but you get your recognition based on what you do, not what you say. In the long run the cream always rises to the top.”
"A lot of people don’t know what we have. I think there are probably 7 teams that could have a shot at winning. People look at us and we lost a lot of seniors, we lost four guys drafted in top two rounds, but as I look at us, we have more depth and talent than we have ever had. We have experience on the offensive and the defensive lines and if you are going to win games, then you have to have the people up front to get it started.”
“I don’t know if I would vote for anybody. I don’t think there is a clear cut team. Sitting here today, everyone has a question mark. I like the fact that we have 4 games and that we have and a week off before we get into the conference".
"I think we have just as good a chance to win the league as anybody. It’s interesting, from top to bottom, this is as tough a league as there is in the country 1-8. We might not have the marquee names in this league, but our non-conference records, our bowl records, that’s the thing about this conference."
As far as on the field Edsall feels that at defensive end there is more than enough depth. He is counting on Lindsey Witten to have a big year and on the other side perhaps a healthy Mike Cox or they will go inexperience here in Trevardo Williams, Jesse Joseph or Ted Jennings. He is obviously not as worried about the position as me. Huskies won't move one of their tackles outside and there is no chance at a LB moving to DE.
"We got some good depth there. You have Lindsey who has played and Mike Cox has played for us, and then we have AJ Portee, Trevardo and Ted Jennings, Jesse Joseph. These are all kids got on the field and can play. They are athletic. Them coming in the possibilities to get on the field."
"Lindsey has to have a big year. It’s his time to step up and shine."
Bowl picture: John Marinatto was adamant that any bowl negotiations will end with the No. 2 Big East team being protected in case Notre Dame takes the Gator/Sun spot. This is the linchpin to the Big East's success. Improved Location, destination and opponent is the goal.
As far as the 9th team, the Big East is open to it, but it has to be the right team (read Notre Dame). Marinatto wants a stand alone team. That would exclude say a Memphis or East Carolina.
“We talk about it,” Marinatto said. “We would love to have a balanced schedule and the way to do that is to have a ninth member. We analyze and discuss it, what we don’t want to do is solve one problem and possibly create another. We are dividing revenue nine ways and schedules and other issues. You don’t do anything for just any reason.”
Edsall did comment on this year's schedule which has three non-conference BCS teams. This is an oddity because they took the Notre Dame game. Edsall feels three non-conference BCS teams is too tough a schedule when you factor in seven conference games. I have to agree with him. This isn't college hoops where SOS gets you somewhere.
Edsall believes this year's schedule is by far the most difficult the program has played. I tend to agree. It could be brutal.
“We don’t ever want to do that again. We want to play two BCS games,” Edsall said. ”With the way our conference is, we shouldn’t be playing more than two non-conference BCS games a year.”
Before I go, you all will be happy to know that I ate some lobster on Monday night. Thanks to Ed Daigneault and Shawn Courchesne for helping me dismember the carcass.
I thought it was very tasty. That's the good part. A word of caution, I may be allergic to it. My eyes started to puff up and my throat was scratchy (I didn't have much). I went to talk to Desi Cullen after and he thought I had a little too much to drink because my eyes were bugged out.
(Long) John Silver allergic to fish? That's just poetry.
1 comment:
Thanks for the reporting. When I read Edsall's comments I didn't think he was annoyed, but you were there so you probably have a better feel for what he was feeling, sometimes that doesn't come across in the printed quote. If, over the long term, UConn continues improving but also continues being picked lower than expected in the preseason, it could hurt our chances for, say, an at large BCS berth. So I can see Edsall taking issue with that, especially if the pattern continues down the road.
As far as the lobster - i'd definitely recommend seeing an allergist, they can give a quick skin test so you can know one way or another. I am allergic to lobsters, shellfish, and even regular fish, though I can eat canned tuna for some reason. Though the chances of fatal shock are low, it's better to be in the know to avoid the foods that can make you sick, even if just to avoid the upset stomach / itchiness.
Post a Comment