Sorry about not getting back here. I had a nice post all ready to go and instead of posting it my computer went into an automatic update and shutdown for some kind of serious Windows Update. I gave up after (ha).
Press conference tomorrow at the Rent about a partnership with SNY. That’s great for UConn getting on NYC TV. I wonder if Cox is going to get SNY up in Manchester.
If you thought the ESPNU spat was bad, I would hope getting SNY up for UConn games is something that’s coming in the Manchester area.
I also hope to see many of you out at Rentschler for An Evening with Randy Edsall. If you are a fan it’s a terrific opportunity to talk with some players and the coach and get a preview of the coming season. Even more so, you can meet me and say hello. Just kidding. I’ll be there.
Here’s today’s top sports story on what really was a sad newspaper in Manchester. I can’t get the shootings out of my mind. Just terrible. UConn is certainly piqued the interest of the nation.
Anyhow, here’s the lede to my work in today’s JI about Skip Holtz.
http://journalinquirer.com/articles/2010/08/04/sports/doc4c5987dd99593809300040.txt
NEWPORT, R.I. — It’s been 12 years and a world of difference since Skip Holtz left as the head coach of the University of Connecticut football team.There are also some other notable things coming out of media day. The thought is courtesy of Greg Auman out in Tampa. The Big East doesn’t have many experienced quarterbacks back. The combined starts for all 8 is 43. That is perhaps the reason why the Big East is thought to be so wide open.
Holtz was hired as a 29-year-old neophyte in 1994 and was originally the choice of then-athletic director Lew Perkins to lead the Huskies into Division I-A. Holtz was coach of the Huskies for five seasons, which culminated in a 10-3 record in 1998 and an appearance in the Division I-AA playoffs.
Holtz left after the 1998 season to coach with his father, Lou, at South Carolina and Randy Edsall was tabbed for the Huskies soon after.
Twelve years later, the program that Holtz left bears little resemblance to the one he will compete against in his first season as head coach at South Florida. Memorial Stadium has been replaced by Rentschler Field and its 40,000 seats. The office trailers and small weight rooms gave way to an indoor practice facility and football complex. The Huskies now have appeared in four bowl games, including each of the last three seasons, and pulled off a win at Notre Dame last season.
Let’s not confuse that with talent however. Zach Collaros was as good as any player in the Big East last year and B.J. Daniels from USF is a star on the rise. Geno Smith out of WVU looks to be another keeper while Tom Savage at Rutgers has shown a ton of improvement.
Zach Frazer is going to have a terrific year for UConn and looks primed to finally live up to his promise coming out of high school. I don’t know who has the best QB in the league, but at this point talent trumps experience. Frazer seems to have everything you need around him with a good and tested offensive line as well as experienced receivers, though he will miss Marcus Easley.
Tino Sunseri at Pitt has 17 passes under his belt. Shows you how chaotic the league is. Perhaps my undying love of the Panthers in 2010 should wait until I see Sunseri throw. No wonder coaches laugh at the preseason poll. Who knows what’s going to happen?
Later.
No comments:
Post a Comment