Thursday, September 17, 2009

Thursday update

Quick Thursday update on injuries.

First off Cody Endres and Lindsey Witten have practiced. The bug has worked its way though team and Edsall is hopeful that it's done. As for injuries, the usual suspects are out including Sio Moore, and Scott Lutrus is questionable. Mike Smith, wide receiver, is OUT for this game. He has a knee problem and didn't respond in the few plays he got Saturday. They had an MRI and the results were negative. Right now, they are going to shut Smith down and see if rests help. That moves Kashif Moore into the WR spot full-time (or at least on the depth chart). Edsall continues to indicate there is going to be a change at wide receiver somewhere.

Edsall also talked about how unforgiving the first three games have been. The Huskies offense hasn't had the opportunity to take some risks and perhaps find out what it can do.At this point, Edsall has a good grasp at playmakers.

    "I think now after two games and after this week in practice, what you might see on Saturday, from a personnel stand point, we got it to where we need to be and who can be out there and who is there to make plays for us. With three teams we opened up with you can't do too much experimenting. If we were paying some other teams some of these issues can be worked out. With the quality of teams playing this year it is tough. Some of these guys are young and some of these guys are playing for the first time."

So like I said a month ago...the schedule is too tough. That's not an excuse, it's a reality. UConn is a young team and a work in progress. It's a brutal opening in my own opinion.

Scout team players of the week are Brian Parker, who is a WR by trade and played Robert Griffin this week. David Kenney on defense, a safety, and Malik Generett on special teams. Quick comments on these guys. Parker is a 6-4 wide receiver and a redshirt freshman who is ineligible this year. If he is athletic enough to simulate Griffin, and considering his height, I would think that he is a player that would have had a good shot at playing some major minutes when he is eligible to play. I don't remember talking about him much, but quick, tall and athletic is a combination the Huskies don't have at that position. They could really use a player like Parker, especially if he can sumlate Griffin in anyway. 

Also, when I see Malik Generett on the scout team would lead me to believe that he isn't one of the WR options Edsall is talking about. Perhap's it's a plant, if it is Machivelli would be proud.

Kenney is a 6-foot-0 205 pound safety out of the Peddie School.  Now why am I telling you this? It's a bit of an inside joke, but a couple of weeks ago Edsall mentioned his name about a move to the Husky backer position (I think when Harris Agbor got hurt or Aaron Bagsby was suspended, and they moved Kijuan Dabney back to safety). Well, I never heard of the kid (or least couldn't remember the name -- hey there are 100 plus, give me a break), and let's just say it's hard to ask questions about someone you don't know a thing about. Well, I tried to ask some questions and it didn't turn out well.The interview is sketchy but I remember Edsall looking at me funny and then I asked.

"Who the hell is David Kenney?"

Well, he is Scout team player of the week. Congrats David, good job, hope to meet you some time.

Chow folks. Time to pay the bills and pack for Texas.

2 comments:

Steve H said...

Isn't Brian Parker ineligible this year? I remember there being a report in preseason that he is practicing with the team, but isn't eligible to play.

John said...

Yes, Parker is ineligible. I thought I said that in the post. That's a problem for the Huskies and was my point. I will look at the post and clarify it.