Of course I am wired. 31-28, bigtime win for the Huskies. So I am home here watching Lockup : San Quinten on MSNBC. Oh,the life of a sportswriter.
Betcha Randy Edsall is looking at the film right now trying to figure out how his defense gave up 377 yards despite holding Robert Griffin relatively in check running.
The spread offense did give UConn mathcup problems. They were able to isolate WR Kendall Wright on a linebacker. He had six catches for 114, and he could/should have had more. Way too many third down conversions. That is what I would be worried about most. There were a lot of plays for 10 or more yards, especially on third down.
The pass rush was pretty good and did have 4 sacks despite a handful of Houdini acts by Robert Griffin. If they can do that next week against Louisville, they would get 7 or 8 sacks.
I know there is going to be a lot of griping over Lorenzen, but he threw the ball well enough. He is staring down his receivers. It can't happen anymore. Heis there to manage the game first and foremost. I did see three chances down the field which were good throws. He nearly had a TD to Kashif Moore that went off the fingertips. It was a good pass, as was the one that was tipped away to Brad Kanuch.
The key for Lorenzen is not turning it over. I am of the opinion that Darius Butler can't play enough. For the second straight week,he had the longest pass gain of the day, 19 yards.
Brown for the Heisman.There are nine guys in the box and he is still rushing well. Good O-line play,GREAT hard running.
NFL scouts got a pretty good look. They all sit in the second row of the press box. I don't get it. They are so high up how do they evaluate? Anyhow,there was 17 scouts on hand including 3 from the Patriots.
Now, onto the controversies:
Huskies got the short end of the replay booth,huh? Julius Williams' tackle of Robert Griffin I think was a safety. They awarded Griffin forward progress. When the tackle started,I thought the ball was in the endzone and never made it out.
The Terry Baltimore play was a good call. The strip of the ball touched after the guy's knee was down.
I still have no idea how they gave Griffin a first down late in the game on that 9-yard scramble to the 30-yard line. It is clear on the replay that Griffin starts his slide before the 30. He then gets plastered and loses the ball. I thought he got to the 29-yard line.
Edit: Questions about the Butler play. I'll see if I can find the video of it. I thought it was close, but it was a late hit.
So what is my final thought? Good win.
5 comments:
I didn't get to watch the whole game but caught most of the fourth quarter. Good win for them. That is a classic trap type game. 4-0 is a great start. Baylor is tough and we don't have the speed to keep up with them on D. Should be interesting to see how the D reacts to Louisville next week. Hopefully the game will look a little slower for them. Need to start of the big east schedule with a win.
I watched the game on TV instead of actually going (wedding rehearsal, not mine) and the worst call was the late-hit call on Darius Butler. No way that was a late hit or a dirty hit, the ESPN guys said as much.
After the non-safety call (clearly a safety), the ESPN announcers were riding the refs pretty hard. I guess Ed Hochuli's son was part of the crew....not a good week for the Hochuli's.
http://www.courant.com/sports/college/football/hc-uconnbaylor-0919-pg,0,5108680.photogallery
Pic #8
You sure that Terry Baltimore play was not a fumble?
I saw the courant picture. His leg touched down before he turned over and lost the ball.
I have to see the Butler hit again. I thought it was a definite safety.
I have to watch my TIVO on the Baltimore play again, but I really thought the safety call was jaw-droppingly bad by the refs. A lot of hats and other items were thrown in the state of Connecticut after that play.
The Butler hit was not late IMO, maybe just on the borderline but in either case it was a totally clean hit.
Post a Comment