Sorry no update late. I couldn't get to a computer and had work to do. Got to pay the bills first.
It was a good practice on Tuesday and pretty much the players with the starting unit were all chalk. All the upperclassmen got deference with Dan Ryan at LT and Zach Frazer at QB. I wouldn't read much into who is working with the first unit until the end of the second week. There was no depth chart this spring because Randy Edsall felt it changes too much. Perhaps he doesn't need a depth chart, but it's always good message board and blog fodder so I was a bit miffed. Practice is open this year with interviews available on Tuesday's and Saturday's. There is going to be plenty of access.
Here is my unofficial depth chart for spring practice based. Offense first, didn't really pay much attention to the defense on Tuesday.
QBs: Zach Frazer and Cody Endres are 1 and 1a.
Thoughts: Frazer is a lot slimmer and much more quick. Is he Pat White? No. But he is down 13 pounds and closing. The speed and footwork is noticeable. He looks a lot more athletic than he did last year. Frazer ate salad for about a week to lose weight and said he starved himself. He now eats small options. Randy Edsall wants him slim, so he will be slim. Portion control is Frazer's friend: "I am not a diet guy."
As far as ability, Frazer and Cody Endres can throw the ball. Endres throws a nice deep ball and showed some mobility in the pocket. Accuracy is going to be an issue, but he has ability. Frazer can make all the throws and since he ran a similar offense in high school, he is comfortable in it. It's decision-making with Frazer. The improved athleticism should help with moving in the pocket. He looked glued to the field at times last year.
I think the staff wans to make a decision by the end of camp. I think they need to have one of these guys win the job. They won't hand it to someone, but would the opportunity to take it is there.
Running backs: Andre Dixon, Jordan Todman, Kelmetrus Wylie and Robbie Frey.
Notes: Dixon and Todman are going to get a lot of work with this offense. I like the short passing game and getting Dixon as a receiver out of the backfield. This worked so well in 2007, no idea what it was scrapped in all circumstances in 2008. Look for Andre to be a pass threat this season. Todman is explosive. Questions are if he can be an every down back and carry the load. Wylie looks like he could be an every down back. He looks quicker than I remember though we have to be careful because they aren't in pads.
Offensive line: Mo Petrus is the center and Mike Hicks entrenched at right tackle. they had Dan Ryan working at left tackle. he had Jimmy Bennett, a highly touted redshirt, will battle. Zach Hurd is entrenched at LG guard when he returns. RG is up for grabs with Petrus moving inside.
WR: Can anyone stand up? Working with the first team were Kashif Moore, Brad Kanuch, Marcus Easley and Michael Smith. Brian Parker also got some first team reps. I saw isiah Moore make a couple of plays and Gerrard Sheppard is athletic.
This is wide open, and will be until the summer when they get some reinforcements with incoming recruits.
On a side note, I have joined Twitter and I will do some tweets at practices. This is just going to be a UConn football tweets, and any updates I get will be sent to it. If enough people join, then I may continue it during the season.
So, I have a blog, facebook blog page, feedburner, an RSS Feed, email updates and now twitter. If you can't get updates from me then just give up.
You can follow me on Twitter to the right. Hey, now I can write my phone off for tax purposes.
Later,
No comments:
Post a Comment