It's going to be an important spring.
Here's a snippet:
http://journalinquirer.com/articles/2009/01/06/sports/doc496397e7c6e8b899979567.txt
Quarterback
The Huskies lose Lorenzen, and it looks as though Zach Frazer (536 passing, 2 TDs, 6 INTs) and Cody Endres (411 passing, 3 INTs) will go into the spring battling for the top job, with freshman Casey Turner also in the mix. Frazer and Endres both showed promise when Lorenzen went down with an injury, but both were mistake-prone. Frazer and Endres are better throwers than Lorenzen and with the loss of Brown, it’s likely to be a more balanced offense next season. If the Huskies only throw four touchdown passes next season, they won’t be anywhere near a bowl game.
It’s an old-fashioned quarterback battle in camp.
Running back
Brown is gone, but this position is loaded. True freshman Jordan Todman (296 yards, 6.3 per carry) showed game-breaking ability in limited time. Andre Dixon has a year of eligibility left and if he returns to the team he will get a chance to redeem a lost 2008 season, when he got hurt, lost his spot and then was arrested for DUI and suspended from the team. Remember, Dixon and Brown were supposed to split carries this year. Dixon’s status is still unknown, though he did play on special teams in the bowl game. With Brown gone, it opens up an opportunity for Dixon. Robbie Frey and Kelmetrus Wylie are also in the mix if both return.
On to the BCS. I keep receving Utah emails and I have had a couple from USC. I am going to cast my vote right after the BCS game and will post it here. I even got a Rutgers email. I am going to put Rutgers in Top 25 most likely.
Here is how serious Utah as a state is taking this, via the AP:
SALT LAKE CITY -- Utah's attorney general is investigating the Bowl Championship Series for a possible violation of federal antitrust laws after an undefeated Utes team was left out of the national title game for the second time in five years.
Attorney General Mark Shurtleff contends the BCS unfairly puts schools like Utah, which is a member of a conference without an automatic bid to the lucrative bowl games, at a competitive and financial disadvantage.
I am not surprised at this, but I am not sure it rises to the level of anti-trust. The first problem with that lawsuit is that Utah is not harmed by not winning the trophy. They got into a big money BCS game. They also have access to the game. It's not like Oklahoma and Florida aren't worried. They also agreed to these rules.
I don't see how the BCS puts Utah at a financial and competitive disadvantage. The biggest problem with Utah is it's hard to find their games. How many times does Utah appear on national TV over the other teams in question? That's more of a problem than anything. I am impressed by the Utes. But are they better than Texas or USC, Florida or Oklahoma?
I don't look like third hand victories. Oregon St beat USC, but Oregon St. lost to Utah, so Utah > USC. I don't buy that.
It's unfair to Utah, but the system is also unfair to USC and Texas for that matter.
1 comment:
I guess Utah has no crime, eh? Must be easy to be the AG in that state and investigate college football for a living. Please.
I think if Florida wins on Thursday and handily, which I think they will, then it's pretty cut and dry as to the national champion. I know everyone loves USC's talent and the fact Utah is undefeated but Florida has been the best team in college football since the Ole Miss loss.
If OU wins, then we have issues.
Post a Comment