To me, shocking news over the weekend that Terrence Jeffers has decided to transfer. I am more perplexed about it than anything else. If he was homesick or unhappy, then I understand. But this looks like a football career decision.
Jeffers had no competition at WR, and he was by far the most talented productive recevier and if he didn't drop as many balls as he did would have had several big games. Considering he saw this much playing time as a true freshman and a sophomore, to transfer doesn't make much sense football wise considering UConn's need at the position.
The timing is also bizarre. He didn't make up his mind until he came back to UConn which was sometime last week. If he was going to transfer he should have never returned to Connecticut.
How does he stay in Georgia the last month and then return to school only to transfer out?
I will say that I always had the feeling that Randy Edsall wasn't as high on Jeffers as everyone else is. Whenever you brought up Jeffers, Edsall would say something about he has to work harder and get better and do more than he is doing now. I don't think the staff was thrilled with the work ethic. That probably strained the relationship.
Also, Edsall's postseason comments about the WR position --which are spot on -- probably didn't endear himself to Jeffers.
I am never surprised when players transfers, you have to be happy, but this doesn't look like it was a happiness issue. It looks like it was a football issue.
Jeffers was the leading receiver on the way back and no one else is even close. He was going to start and play a ton. I don't care who UConn brings in. Edsall wasn't going to start a true freshman unless the guy is gangbusters in the summer.
That leaves the Huskies in a bad spot. D.J. Hernandez, Brad Kanuch are all that is left. Kashif Moore has drawn rave reviews and look for a lot of Ellis Gaulden in the spring. Who else?
Assuming everyone else comes back (big if), redshirt Isiah Moore, sophomore Kevin Poles come to mind. Walk-on Marcus Easley is an option and Robert Theoudele has never really caught on and he would be a 5th year senior next year.
In essence, after D.J. and Kanuch nothing really proven. And, it's not like D.J. and Kanuch were very productive. They showed more flashes of big play ability but I am skeptical of their ability to consistently drive a passing game. They weren't the consistent threat that Jeffers was.
There is playing time to be had, that is for sure. This is a position of need on the recruiting trail and I would go after any big time receiver that there is a chance to start right away. There is a gaping hole at wide receiver for UConn. It is going to be calling all volunteers this spring.
That is what makes Jeffers' move even that more perplexing.
Edsall isn't going to talk about the roster until Feb. 6, it will be interesting to see how the Huskies end up.
No comments:
Post a Comment